ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
PRAY God’s work in you and us and our community
READ 1 Samuel 5 & 6 and keep reading Judges
OBEY God’s leading and guidance in your response
SHARE with another follower of Jesus how God is working – help one another and pray for one another
Further Study Notes
March 12, 2017
1 Samuel 4
1. Eli, his two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, and Phinehas’s wife all died on the same day (1 Samuel 4:17-22). Why? Read 1 Samuel 2:27-36 and 1 Samuel 3:11-14
2. Read the following passages. How serious is God about maintaining His own pure character and about the purity of His people?
Leviticus 18:24-30 Deuteronomy 20:16-18 Joshua 10:40
Discuss the difficulty of these passages and the issue of purity as it relates to a God of love (perhaps this discussion could lead to many of the issues of God’s character).
3. What likely happened in Israel in the following areas as a result of the capture of the Ark of the Covenant, the death of Eli and his sons?
- worship and sacrifice in the tabernacle
- the possibility of the presence of God in the tabernacle
4. 1 Samuel 4:18, “Eli judged Israel for 40 years.” Go to the end of Judges and scan backward to find the previous judge of Israel.
5. Why is the departure of the glory of God do devastating?
Psalm 19:1 Romans 3:23 Hebrews 1:3 1 Peter 5:10
6. List the factors from 1 Samuel 1 – 4 that led to the departure of God’s glory.
7. What keeps God’s glory hidden from us in the 21st-century American church? What keeps God’s glory hidden from PBC?
8. What can YOU do to remove barriers to God’s glory personally and for PBC?