ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
PRAY God’s work in you and us and our community
READ 1 Samuel 7 and keep reading Judges
OBEY God’s leading and guidance in your response
SHARE with another follower of Jesus how God is working – help one another and pray for one another
Further Study Notes
1 Samuel 5:1 – 7:1
“A biblical worldview requires that we take the life of Jesus as our own.”
1. Read the following passages. What do these verses SAY (NOT what do they MEAN, what do they SAY)?
John 17:20-23 Colossians 1:27 Galatians 2:20
2. Compare Hebrews 4:14-16 with John 17:20-23 (previously read). How do these two passages, along with Colossians 1:27 and Galatians 2:20, relate?
3. Read as many of the following passages as time allows. Observe what each passage SAYS (If using the NIV Bible, please replace the words “sinful nature” with “flesh.”)
Acts 13:38,39 Galatians 2:20
Romans 6 Galatians 5:1
Romans 8:10,11 Ephesians 2:3,4
2 Corinthians 5:17 1 Peter 1:15
1 John 2:1,2
What is the connecting theme in these passages? Without inserting what you’ve possibly always been taught, what do these passages clearly SAY?
One thing seen in 1 Samuel 5, 6, & 7 is that the Philistines could, if they allowed themselves, see clearly that the God of Israel was the true God. But they ignored what was obvious. Considering the previous passages, how could we be ignoring what God clearly says about sin and believers?
4. An unbiblical worldview causes people to ignore, miss, and even reject what God has communicated to mankind. How important to God is sound doctrine and correct teaching AND unity around that doctrine? Read as many of the following passages as time allows and discuss.
Romans 15:4-6 1 Corinthians 1:10 Ephesians 4:11-16
Philippians 2:2; 3:15,16 1 Timothy 1:3,10 1 Timothy 6:3-5
2 Timothy 1:13 2 Timothy 2:15 2 Timothy 4:2-4
Titus 1:9 Titus 2:1 2 Peter 1:20,21
5. God desires His people to have one mind – see things the way He sees them. What can you do to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace with other followers of Jesus?
6. What is the error of a person who says, “I follow God in my own way.”? How can you address this error in a loving, gentle way?
7. How is God working in you and in your thinking in the Overwhelming Culture series? Share with others.