ASSIGNMENT for April 9 - 15
Sunday, April 16, 2017 is Resurrection Sunday! Read the accounts of the resurrection of Jesus in each of the 4 Gospels this week. Everyone is invited to join the entire PBC family at 10:45 AM this Sunday.
Further Study Notes for April 9, 2017
1 Samuel 9 – 10:16
Applying a Biblical Worldview to Trust God in the Issue of Government and Authorities
1. Read the passage (refer to 1 Samuel 8 if needed). How did Samuel make it apparent that he disagreed with Israel’s demand for a human king?
How did God lead Samuel to submit in this instance? Summarize Samuel’s submission in a brief statement.
2. Read Romans 13:1-7 and 1 Timothy 2:1-6. Discuss the following issues based on these passages:
- the American revolution
- the recorded response of US citizens and soldiers during World War II
- the current political situation
3. In the message, it was stated that “my own [political] view is of no consequence,” and then immediately connected to Jesus’s command to count the cost of being His disciple (read Luke 14:25-33). How are these two statements related in our current political climate, to our own political views, and our submission to our true King?
4. What about this message rubbed you the “wrong way?” How does that “rubbing” stand up to Romans 13 and 1 Timothy 2? What needs to happen in you in this regard?
5. Read Romans 13:1,2 again and compare to Proverbs 21:1. Evaluate your concerns and turmoil related to tension (if any) in our nation, past or present, and in yourself about national leadership.
6. How have you disobeyed God in regard to this issue? Consider your feeling, words, and actions right now – over the past 8 years – throughout your adult/voting life. If necessary, confess and respond in obedience – share with others what God is doing.
7. The main point of this message was “trust God in any circumstance – especially related to governing officials and authorities.” DO you? Do you see God as trustworthy – even when we/you cannot possibly see HOW He is?
Repentance and belief are our response when we don’t hold to God’s commands or obey them. Take the necessary action – and share with someone you trust.