ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
PRAY God’s work in you and us and our community
READ 1 Samuel 9:1-10:16 and keep reading Judges
OBEY God’s leading and guidance in your response
SHARE with another follower of Jesus how God is working – help one another and pray for one another
Further Study April 2, 2017
1. Read 1 Samuel 8:1-5. Does this passage SAY anything about Samuel’s “success” as a parent? What DOES this passage say?
2. Discuss the possible relationship between parenting effectiveness and children who are or are not godly.
Is this a black and white issue, according to Scripture? Why?
3. Read Exodus 20:5 and 34:6,7. What action, on the part of the follower of Jesus, can overcome this consequence? How do you know?
4. Read 1 Samuel 8:5-22. Discuss the “pain” God expresses to Samuel in verses 5-9. Discuss God’s love and patience and forgiveness related to this circumstance. Discuss God’s love and patience and forgiveness related to YOUR circumstances.
5. How do the rights of the human king in 1 Samuel 8:10-18 relate to God’s desire to be Israel’s King? Discuss the contrast between a human ruler with these rights and God as King.
6. Read the following passages. How and why are God’s people supposed to be different and set apart from the world (people in the world who do not hold a biblical worldview)?Song of Songs 2:10-13 1 Peter 1:13-21 1 Peter 2:9-12 1 John 2:15-17
7. Knowing God’s desire for our holiness, what issues of your life need repentance and belief? In other words, what areas of your life are more like the world’s view than God’s – where are you not allowing Jesus to be King of your life?
What help will you need from other followers of Jesus to repent and believe?
8. Read 2 Peter 1:3-11. Discuss what God is saying to us – each aspect of what He says.
9. How does what God says in John 17:21-23 relate and correspond to 2 Peter 1:3-11?
10. The issue of the repetition of “gospel and discipleship” at PBC was addressed in the message. How are the gospel and discipleship the answer to all of life’s issues – especially difficulties?
11. What action will you take this week to avoid being like the Israelites in 1 Samuel 8 and to be LIKE Jesus as He describes Himself in the following passages?
John 5:19,30 John 8:28 John 14:10,11